BASIC PURPOSE & SCOPE:
Under the supervision of the Center Manager and guidance of the Activities Coordinator, the Activities Aide will be responsible for assisting with the planning and implementation of recreational programs for the elderly, as part of a multi-disciplinary team providing all-inclusive care. The Activities Aide will assist in building a sense of community and warm social atmosphere for the participants and develop group and individual programming to meet those needs.
1. Plan and implement relevant recreational programs to meet the needs of the participants, per the treatment plan developed by the interdisciplinary team.
2. Builds within the day center a sense of community and a warm social atmosphere in which participants are able to identify a support system.
3. Organizes and directs individual and group activities, exercises, discussions, clubs, field trips/outing, arts and crafts, music appreciation, etc. With input from the Center Manager and Activities Coordinator, the Activities Aide will seek ideas from the participants on programming they enjoy most as well as additional ideas they would like to pursue.
4. Ability to travel to off-sites to assist with activities as needed and requested by Center Manager.
5. Treats all people with respect, maintains confidentiality and strives toward service excellence.
6. Coordinates with various community resources to add diversity and enrich the recreational program by involving organizations, groups, and schools in celebration of special occasions and events.
7. Provide assistance with cooking activities, as needed.
8. Complete all mandatory in-service education programs and completes any other additional in-service hours that are minimally required for the position.
9. All other duties as assigned.
The above examples of work may not be a complete statement of all assignments that may be inherent to the position. Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary and appropriate by the Center Manager/Activities Coordinator.
Required Education: High School Diploma; College degree preferred
Required Experience: Two years’ experience in a social or recreational program providing services to the frail elderly within the last five years, one of which was full time in a patient activities program in a health care setting.
Desired or Preferred Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities: Therapeutic Recreation Specialist or Registered Occupational Therapist or Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA); Interest and ability to work with the multi-disciplinary team. Good understanding of psychosocial problems of aging.
1. Ability to demonstrate skills and equipment competencies upon hire, and annually thereafter.
2. Ability to read and comprehend participant care plans.
3. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
4. Adheres to and reflects organizational values in daily work.
5. Serves on agency committees as may be assigned.
6. Maintains an obligation to report wrongdoing/violation of agency policies, applicable federal, state and local laws, and regulations, pertaining to agency operations, to the immediate supervisor or identified compliance officer.
7. Completes all mandatory in-service education programs and completes any other additional in-service hours that are minimally required for the position.
8. Ability to work effectively with culturally, economically and educationally diverse populations, and form positive interpersonal relations in dealing with a wide range of staff and participants.
9. Other job requirements (physical) – see attached.
10. Minimally available on a per diem basis, Monday through Friday, 10:00 am – 2:30 pm, schedule available on a weekly basis.